Saturday, January 8, 2011

the re-emergence of dark children's literature

last year, around this time, my daughter crawled up on to my lap while i was sitting on the couch, and together we composed this story. collectively the creativity flowed, her with crayon, me with pencil. this is the fruit of our labor. a tragic tale of friendship, love, sorrow, betrayal. a coming of age story where sasha must confront death, a sort of crossroads. will her loss cascade her to bitterness? or will redemption be found in the ashes. read, as together, father and daughter we bring you . . .

. . . the day benny the snowman became a puddle.



one cold winter day benny was playing with his very best friend sasha. it was the biggest snowball fight that they had all winter.


but then the sun came out.


and benny melted . . .


and melted . . .


and melted until he was a puddle. sasha was very sad and started crying.


suddenly she had an ideas. she dipped a mug in the puddle that was once benny.


she put the mug in to the microwave . . .



added chocolate and stirred it up with his carrot nose.


and it was the best cup of hot chocolate she ever had.

the end.

3 comments:

  1. Well there ya go!
    I think I'd have turned him into hot apple cider instead, but that's just me!
    ~RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, this is such an awesome story. I could see a fabulous sweet ending like she saved him with the freezer or something, but this is SO MUCH BETTER.

    Love it.

    Hey, I wandered over here from CoN. Thanks for commenting on my entry. You were one of my top five reader choice picks, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have your kids stopped saying funny and cute things, or are you just getting to busy to keep track and share with us?

    ReplyDelete